Travelogue – Nederland 2018
In April 2018 we initially wanted to travel along the Wadden in The Netherlands and Germany, but we got stuck in our northern provinces Friesland and Groningen.
We have published photos of this journey on SmugMug ( please click). Here below a small selection, meant as a teaser.
- Zeeland – Den Oever
- Den Oever – Afsluitdijk – Pinjum – Harlingen – Brantgum
- Brantgum – Ameland – Hegebeintum
- Hegebeintum – Lichtaard – Jannum – Moddergat – Lauwersmeer
- Lauwersmeer – Pieterburen – Noordpolderzijl -Termunterzijl
- Termunterzijl – Bourtange – Westerbork- Nijetrijne
- Nijetrijne – de Weerribben – Sloten
- Sloten – Gaasterland – Molkwerum
- Molkwerum – Zeeland
Total distance; 1.240 km
Highlights of our trip
The Afsluitdijk was a nice start. An important part of the Zuiderzee works. It remains impressive. The dike is 32 km long and was completed in 1932.
-The village Pinjum turned out to be a small Frisian jewel.
– Harlingen, one of the Frisian 11 cities is a city full of character. Wonderful to stroll through Harlingen with this beautiful spring weather. Beautiful old buildings and uniquely situated on the water.
– Ameland was not our expected top highlight. Too many tourists and too many second homes. We feel that the original character has disappeared.
-The Church of Hegebeintum, built on a mound.
The what a resident of Lichtaard said of the little Church on the mound: a poor louse church. Beautiful because of the simplicity.
-The village Jannum, consisting of a church, indeed built on a mound, a farm and some cottages.
-The village Moddergat. A beautiful fishing village at the Waddensea. Over the dike, a beautiful landscape with lots of sheep and lambs.
-The ‘gemaal” at Noordpolderzijl with the smallest seaport in the Netherlands.
– Termunterzijl to the EMS.
-The trip to camp Westerbork was a disappointment. We have not dealt well with our heritage. Everything is gone. Too sad for words.
– Nijetrijne, a delightful spot by the water, at Driewegsluis.
-National Park de Weerribben.
– Sloten, the smallest of the 11 Frisian cities.
-The Bell Chairs In Friesland.
-The Frisians and people from Groningen. Very friendly.
Comments are closed.