Travelogue – Nederland 2018
Period 17 April 2018 – 25 April 2018. Distance 1,240 km.
- Zeeland – Den Oever
- Den Oever – Afsluitdijk – Pinjum – Harlingen – Brantgum
- Brantgum – Ameland – Hegebeintum
- Hegebeintum – Lichtaard – Jannum – Moddergat – Lauwersmeer
- Lauwersmeer – Pieterburen – Noordpolderzijl -Termunterzijl
- Termunterzijl – Bourtange – Westerbork- Nijetrijne
- Nijetrijne – de Weerribben – Sloten
- Sloten – Gaasterland – Molkwerum
- Molkwerum – Zeeland
We invite you to see the photo’s of our trip on: SmugMug
Highlights of this trip
We initially wanted to travel along the Wadden in the Netherlands and Germany, but we “got stuck” in our northern provinces, Friesland and Groningen.
-The Afsluitdijk was a nice start. An important part of the Zuiderzee works. It remains impressive. The dike is 32 km long and was completed in 1932.
-The village Pinjum turned out to be a small Frisian jewel.
– Harlingen, one of the Frisian 11 cities is a city full of character. Wonderful to stroll through Harlingen with this beautiful spring weather. Beautiful old buildings and uniquely situated on the water.
– Ameland was not our expected top highlight. Too many tourists and too many second homes. We feel that the original character has disappeared.
-The Church of Hegebeintum, built on a mound.
-The what a resident of Lichtaard said of the little Church on the mound: a poor louse church. Beautiful because of the simplicity.
-The village Jannum, consisting of a church, indeed built on a mound, a farm and some cottages.
-The village Moddergat. A beautiful fishing village at the Waddensea. Over the dike, a beautiful landscape with lots of sheep and lambs.
-The ‘gemaal” at Noordpolderzijl with the smallest seaport in the Netherlands.
– Termunterzijl to the EMS.
-The trip to camp Westerbork was a disappointment. We have not dealt well with our heritage. Everything is gone. Too sad for words.
– Nijetrijne, a delightful spot by the water, at Driewegsluis.
-National Park de Weerribben.
– Sloten, the smallest of the 11 Frisian cities.
-The Bell Chairs In Friesland.
-The Frisians and people from Groningen. Very friendly.
Comments are closed.